Session Fixation Vulnerability in Web Based Apps

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Jun 16 12:51:39 EDT 2003

    --
James A. Donald:
> > Which is fine provided your code, rather than the framework
> > code provided the cookie, and provided you generated the
> > cookie in response to a valid login, as Ben Laurie does..
> > The framework, however, generally provides insecure
> > cookies.

Ng Pheng Siong:
> Dynamic programming environments like Lisp, Smalltalk and
> Python allow the application programmer to replace parts of a
> framework with other code easily.

The word "environment", like "framework" is overloaded.   I had
in mind such frameworks as PHP, struts, and ASP.   mod_perl
makes you do your own damn cookie management as far as I know,
and so would not in itself cause the session fixation problem,
though programmer error might very easily cause it.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     M2QqNF3SbBJ8ZBL5r77vtVp17bYimpkgCZWrCRxA
     4YMBoFimaPGsULDLow0LdwGBbNKGNfrlCjIFpMfYa