The real problem that https has conspicuously failed to fix

Jeffrey I. Schiller jis at mit.edu
Thu Jun 12 15:24:19 EDT 2003

Yep, I deployed such a PKI here at MIT back in 1996. Today every student
and most faculty and staff have certificates.

It really does work, but unfortunately the support for them in the
common browsers is quirky enough that we have our support fun! I can
understand why commercial sites shy away.

I have also been involved in efforts to get U.S. Higher Education to
start deploying client certificates. The big problem there is that
public key encryption appears to require more then the amount of clue
that most computer administrators seem to have, so education is a real
problem.

		-Jeff