Keyservers and Spam

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Tue Jun 10 12:47:48 EDT 2003

At 04:54 PM 6/10/2003 +0100, Jill.Ramonsky at Aculab.com wrote:

> [...]

I have to partially disagree, in the area of well known pseudonyms. Why
would you want to contact someone you've never actually met? Because of
their reputation, that's why. So what if the name by which you know them is
fake, in the sense of not being the one on their driver's license? Like,
for example, Mudge, Hobbit, Lucky Green, Black Unicorn. Three of whose keys
I have signed in good faith, to attest that if you trust me, and send mail
to one of those, it will get to the individual you thought it would get to,
even though you don't know their name. Did that make sense?

That still doesn't solve your fundamental problem, though... I bet they all
get spam.

>I have had to my original question suggest that there simply _is_ no
>solution, except live with it. Either don't publish your key (which means
>that no-one can find your key even if they have a priori knowledge of your
>email address), or do (and accept the price in spam). This seems to be the
>reality of how it is. This being the case, I am now starting to wonder if it
>might be time to invent a new PGP keyserver protocol which addresses this
>issue. Keyservers could then start to implement the new protocol, and, in
>time, the problem would be solved. Does this make sense? Is this reasonable?

There's a relatively simple hack that helps in this context; have the
keyserver refuse to return more than some small number of keys for any
query. If I ask for the keys of all the "Jill"s, it'll say "too many...
refine search". (There are 252 on us.pgp.net.) If I ask for "Ramonsky"
it'll hopefully return just a couple (or in this case none). It should
refuse too many requests in a row from a single source. By the time a
spammer with a list of common names gets around this with either a long,
slow attack, or a distributed attack, much of the value will have gone out
of it for them.

Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: ggr at qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C