SDSI/SPKI background

Stefan Mink mink at schlund.net
Tue Jun 10 04:57:00 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm currently preparing courses about telecommunication security
architectures and protocols of which certificates are a main
building block for authentication and authorisation.

I'm presenting the PKI/PMI-models with X.509 as mainly used
architecture today and PGP as the distributed model.

I also want to present SDSI/SPKI but as far as I know, work in this
direction seems to have stopped: The IETF WG was closed and some
drafts weren't finished as RFCs. Nevertheless there are interesting
ideas which are worth showing in contrast to X.509.

I still have two open points which I couldn't resolve by searching
and reading:
* Are there other authorisation certificate standards besides
  SDSI/SPKI?
* What are the main reasons that work on SDSI/SPKI stopped although
  much work was already done?

   tschuess
             Stefan
--
Stefan Mink, Schlund+Partner AG (AS 8560)
Primary key fingerprint: 389E 5DC9 751F A6EB B974  DC3F 7A1B CF62 F0D4 D2BA