Keyservers and Spam

Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com
Mon Jun 9 14:56:25 EDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 Jill.Ramonsky at Aculab.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems to me that the possibilty that spammers might harvest PGP
> keyservers for email addresses is a serious disincentive to using
> keyservers. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

There are plenty of sources from which harvest email addresses,
including the archives of this and other public mailing lists. Spam
prevention should not require one to keep one's email address a secret.
While lurking does cut down on spam, it is not an option for those who
participate in a public discussion forum.

If no-one knows you exist, don't publish your key on a keyserver...

--
	Viktor.