Nullsoft's WASTE communication system

Bart Preneel Bart.Preneel at esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Jun 1 17:01:44 EDT 2003

In order to increase hardware efficiency, the 8-bit S-boxes of Anubis
have been designed by combining 4-bit S-boxes with bit permutations in
two layers.  4-bit S-boxes always have quadratic equations.

Hence if you would be worried about algebraic attacks on AES, you probably
should also worry about Anubis.
However, the BES trick of Murphy and Robshaw (Crypto 2002) does not
apply as the S-box is not longer derived from the inverse mapping.

For more details on Anubis and Khazad, see the NESSIE report at
http://www.cryptonessie.org and the paper at FSE 2003 of De Canniere et al.
and of Biryukov.

Best regards,
Bart
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven                       tel. +32 16 32 11 48
Dept. Electrical Engineering-ESAT / COSIC            fax. +32 16 32 19 69
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10, B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee, BELGIUM

                           bart.preneel at esat.kuleuven.ac.be
                        http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~preneel