Nullsoft's WASTE communication system

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 1 10:51:14 EDT 2003

At 04:33 PM 5/30/03 -0700, bear wrote:
>Blowfish has been around longer than Rijndael; I think AES may not yet
>have gotten as much cryptographic attention as Blowfish's several-year
>headstart has given it.  I think that a "perfect cipher" of Blowfish's
>block size would necessarily be less secure than a "perfect" cipher of
>AES' block size, but I'm not aware of any work demonstrating either to
>be an example of a "perfect cipher". (Nor any methodology such work
>could employ, for that matter).

AES has gotten a lot of attention, and right now, it's the high-prestige
target.  (Among other things, it was clearly a front-runner in the AES
process from the beginning, and all of us who'd designed other algorithms
spent a lot of time trying to beat up on it.)  Blowfish has been around
longer, but has probably had fewer people spend lots of time trying to
break it.  The still-unresolved question is whether those equation-solving
attacks can really be used against AES, and there doesn't seem to be anyone
who's completely confident of the answer to that question.

--John Kelsey, kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
PGP: FA48 3237 9AD5 30AC EEDD  BBC8 2A80 6948 4CAA F259