Announcing httpsy://, a YURL scheme

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Wed Jul 16 13:37:01 EDT 2003

At 11:26 AM 7/16/2003 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Ian Grigg <iang at systemics.com> writes:
> > Michael_Heyman at NAI.com wrote:
> >
> > > A YURL aware search engine may find multiple independent references to a
> > > YURL, thus giving you parallel reporting channels, and increasing trust.
> > > Of course, this method differs from the YURL method for trust. The
> > > parallel channel method assigns a trust value to a site by querying the
> > > YURL aware search engine.
> >
> > That's an extraordinarily good idea!  It reminds
>
>It seems to me to be more "a bad idea, fully realized".
>
>I'll repeat:
>
>1) The "YURL" makes key management and replacement effectively
>    impossible.

One approach: instead of putting the end-entity key's fingerprint in the
URL, place the CA key's fingerprint.  CryptoURLs have an x509_root_sha1
datatype for this purpose.  Then ensure that the HTTPS server returns the
CA's self-signed cert.  The client hashes this to see if the fingerprint
matches the cryptoURL, then validates the chain in the usual way.

Now a compromise of the EE's key can be recovered from like normal.  For
example, the CA can issue short-lived certs, or the EE cert can have a CDP
extension where CRLs are found.  Compromise of the CA key is still a
catastrophe, but it always was.

The neat thing here is the EE can choose his own "CA", based on the sole
critieria that he believes it will remain secure, and will be rigorous in
authenticating him.  For example, I could choose my mom as my "CA", since
she's highly security-conscious and unlikely to certify anyone else as
me.  Or I could be my own CA, but split the CA key up into threshold shares
and stow them in various safes and hiding places, and proactivize them
periodically.

The negative, security-wise, is that now you're relying on two trusted
introducers: wherever the cryptoURL came from, and the CA.  But for that
price, you've purchased some resilience to EE key compromise.

Trevor