[Fwd: BugTraq - how to coverup the security]

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Mon Jul 14 20:29:07 EDT 2003

Over on BugTraq, there is a new security flaw being
demonstrated that allows a page to cover up various
of the security components for an IE browser.

I can't see them on my browser, but what I saw on an
IE equipped browser was good enough to fool some people.

It's worth checking out!  It really did open eyes
over here!  It's not actually clear to me that any
of the ideas we've discussed here - caching of self-
signed certs, enhanced security displays, etc - will
overcome this.

Just yet more evidence that that the attacker is not
playing by the rules laid down in the secure browser
security model :-/

iang