SSL

Pete Chown Pete.Chown at skygate.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 18:37:14 EDT 2003

Jill.Ramonsky at Aculab.com wrote:

>  However, the complexity of the OpenSSL library has me stumped.
> (Plus, it's Unix-centric. I'd like to turn it into a Visual Studio port so I
> could compile without needing cygwin, gcc, etc., but that's another story).

You might look at NSS.  It's the Netscape implementation of TLS, used in
Mozilla among other things.  You might find it easier to follow than
OpenSSL.  It's also Windows-friendly, running on top of NSPR, the
Netscape Portable Runtime (another useful piece of code, but not on
topic for this list).

> Where can I learn about SSL?

If you just want to know how the protocol works, for example to
implement it, read RFC 2246.  If you want the rationale as well, read
one of the books that others have pointed out.

The protocol is actually being revised, if you want to look at the
bleeding edge, try:

http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-rfc2246-bis-05.txt

--
Pete