LibTomNet [v0.01]

tom st denis tomstdenis at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 14:06:04 EDT 2003

[repost from sci.crypt]

Oh no, not another LibTom thing! arrg!

First the temp url... http://libtomcrypt.org/net/  I'll get a
net.libtomcrypt.org VHOST setup shortly.

LibTomNet is a library designed to provide streaming TCP/IP privacy and
authentication.  It uses LibTomCrypt as the crypto provider.

The lib uses RSA for key exchange [and the client may scrutinize the
key before making the connection via a callback], AES-128-CTR [two
different keys for each direction] and SHA1-HMAC.  The niche of the lib
is that my library compiles to a mere 10KB.  Add SHA1, AES, HMAC, RSA
and LTM and you get 60KB demo apps   Ideally you should build LTC
without mpi.o and link against both LTC and LTM.

The lib does not implement any other protocol like SSH/SSL/TLS [etc].

I have to mention this in good conscience.  I ==>STRONGLY<== DISCOURAGE
people from using this library in fielded systems.  I've only been
working on it for a day and I wouldn't be surprised if there were
numerous bugs or points of attack [I've fixed a dozen since last
night].

That being said the code uses fairly standard BSD style socket calls.
It works in Linux and should port rather trivially to QNX, UNIX, IRIX
and Win32 [among others].  What I would appreciate is if people could
help and send patches to get the code to work in other OSes.

I'd like to get it working in at least Linux and Win32 by next week.

Tom