Keep it secret, stupid!

geer at world.std.com geer at world.std.com
Tue Jan 28 10:41:05 EST 2003

>   This is why I have so much disdain for "corporate information
>   security" departments.  They seem so busy plugging the mouse holes
>   in the barn walls, they forget that the door is wide open.

not necessary but so often true, especially when policy
prescribes procedure rather than measurable goal state

here's my own list (in the "eat your own dogfood" sense)

  * can lose laptop and suffer only embarassment
  * can work from any location however hostile
  * in-building network drops vulnerable only to vandalism

obcrypto: all of the above require it...

--dan