Verizon must comply with RIAA's DMCA subpoena

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Mon Jan 27 13:34:41 EST 2003

[Moderator's note: I think this is slipping from relevance... --Perry]

Faust wrote:

> > Here's a little story: this week I learned that one of our valuable
> > security doctoral candidates doesn't vote, and doesn't want to learn
> > about or discuss politics and the political implications of what she does.
>
> Sounds very sensible to me.
> Leave the voting to those who care.

Good thing that you never post complaining about security policy
and governments, then....  Funny, that seems a constant theme on
this list!

For most of the years I've been involved, the very idea of public,
unclassified, non-govermental activity in cryptography and security
was actively opposed by our respective governments.

That changed through direct activism by many of those on this list.

Democracy is not a spectator sport.

To be involved in security is to be concerned with policy.  Ignorance
of policy automatically disqualifies somebody to be a security analyst,
since they have no basis for analysis.  Security requires more than
mere bit twiddling.

> One of my peeves about Australia is that voting is compulsory here.
> Quite apart from enforced voting being an infringement of my civil right, the

What "civil right" would that be?

Does Australia have some sort of enumerated "right" to benefit from the
work of others without contributing?

> problem is that most people do not even know who is standing for
> election from their electorate, far less care what their policies are.

And you personally worked to educate them -- how?

> As a result the great unwashed turn up and tick boxes at random.

And you personally worked to educate them -- how?

> One rightwing politician used this recently to register 30 fake minor parties
> ( Gay and Lesbian Party, Marihuana party, Save the Forests Party etc ) and then
> directed the preferences of these parties to himself.
> This enabled him to get elected to Parliment.

Sounds like an excellent "hack" of the system!  Although, with petition
signatures from 5% of the electorate for each party to gain a place on
the ballot, 30 parties would indicate that he had 150% of the voters
sign petitions....  Either there was an error in the petition
validation process, or the party qualifications are unreasonably low
(5% to 15% is typical), or you're exaggerating a wee bit....

(Here, you have to show a minimum of support to gain a place on the
ballot.  Indeed, incumbent officials have to go out and gather
thousands of signatures to be placed on the ballot, even when their
party has already qualified for the election.  Heck, many places don't
require a politician to be a member of any party, as long as they
separately qualify to a slightly higher standard.)
--
William Allen Simpson