FYI: Palladium now NGSCB

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Mon Jan 27 13:06:07 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 Michael_Heyman at NAI.com wrote:

> From: <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2129337,00.html>
>
>   Microsoft has dropped the code name of its controversial
>   security technology, Palladium, in favor of this buzzword-
>   bloated tongue twister: "next-generation secure computing
>   base".
>
> Similar from <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/29039.html>
>
> -Michael Heyman

I think that if we cooperate we can stop this absurd Orwellian grab of a
perfectly generic phrase.  "Palladium" is the proper name.  Microsoft
should not be allowed to claim "next-generation secure computing base" as a
trademark nor as a term meaning Palladium.  Not as a trademark because the
phrase is deceptive and generic and not as a term because the term is
deceptive and generic.  There is no advantage to us in propagating this
crude lie.

I ask that those on this list continue to refer to Palladium by its right
name "Palladium".  If we continue to use "Palladium" to mean Microsoft's
program, "Palladium" remains a useful term of art.  It is precise and
accurate, whereas "next-generation secure computing base" is misleading,
vague, and inaccurate.

oo--JS.