Keep it secret, stupid!

Bram Cohen bram at gawth.com
Sun Jan 26 19:40:47 EST 2003

Matt Blaze wrote:

> Once I understood the basics, I quickly discovered, or more accurately
> re-discovered, a simple and practical rights amplification (or
> privilege escalation) attack to which most master-keyed locks are
> vulnerable.
>     http://www.crypto.com/masterkey.html

Matt, is there some reason why you didn't bother asking a single locksmith
if they knew about this attack already before claiming it was 'new' in
your paper? Have you looked into the differences in actual costs of
production of the various ways of making locks more secure? Do you have
any information on how common various ways of breaking into locks are done
in practice?

I'm not arguing that security through obscurity is a good thing, just
pointing out that your claims of the importance of your publication are
being made mostly in ignorance.

-Bram Cohen

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
                                        -- John Maynard Keynes