Verizon must comply with RIAA's DMCA subpoena

Neil Johnson njohnsn at iowatelecom.net
Wed Jan 22 23:48:23 EST 2003

FYI

A couple of weeks ago, a manager where I work showed me an e-mail he received
from his (and my) DSL ISP.

Evidently one of his computers on his home network (his teenage son's) had
gotten infected with a virus and began portscanning.

Some monitoring group caught the portscan, e-mailed the date, time, and IP
Address to the ISP.

The ISP checked it's records and found out it was his connection and sent him
the e-mail.

It basically said "Get your damn anti-virus software updated, or we will pull
the plug on your connection, it violates our AUP" (Okay it was worded nicer
than that, with info on what the virus was, where to find information on
getting rid of it, anti-virus software reccomendations, and so-on. But the
dissconnection threat was in there).

Which leads me to beleive that most ISP's are going to want to to keep track
of IP's.

 (The way ours seems to do it is by generating the assigned IP  address based
on the MAC address of the device connecting to their network. As long as I
use the same MAC address, I get the same IP address. Gotta love those cheap
home routers that let you clone MAC addresses)
--
Neil Johnson