What, me worry?

Jon Simon jon at jonsimon.com
Wed Jan 15 17:25:27 EST 2003

It's a reality check.  Despite a massive amount of work to make
computer networks secure, remote attacks are often successful (for
many reasons of course, including non-technical ones like poorly
chosen passwords, but technical ones as well), and now we're talking
about securing something the hacker has physical access to.  I
seriously doubt any new DRM system will be totally secure in hardware
or software at v5.0, let alone v1.0.  So why worry?  Some companies
are just banding together to do something they've never been able to
do, definitely won't be able to do well on the first release, and
likely won't be able to do successfully for a long time if ever.
-Jon