DeCSS, crypto, law, and economics

Michael Shields shields at msrl.com
Thu Jan 9 15:08:12 EST 2003

In article <3E1D3A0F.7030306 at ka9q.net>,
Phil Karn <karn at ka9q.net> wrote:
> Exactly. Time segmentation already practiced by the movie studios and
> book publishers, and it's pretty hard to arbitrage -- until somebody
> invents time travel.

For books and CDs -- and as the region coding system breaks down,
increasingly for DVDs as well -- only shipping costs and market
illiquidity protect the segmentation.  And markets are becoming more
liquid, even at the consumer level.  For example, I routinely order
the European editions of books from amazon.co.uk, for example, instead
of waiting for them to be published in the US.  This is exactly as
easy as buying from amazon.com; they even accept the same login.
--
Shields.