DeCSS, crypto, law, and economics

Pete Chown Pete.Chown at skygate.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 05:18:33 EST 2003

Alan wrote:

> Another argument for the regions is the differing formats for TV
> signals. (NTSC v.s. PAL.)  It is a bogus argument as you can find DVD
> players that will convert the signal with little or no problem.

Actually my TV is happy with either.  I always had the notion that I
wouldn't be able to play American videotapes, but then I tried it and it
works fine.  So if I don't want to bother with region codes, the other
possibility is to buy films on video.

When I play region-1 DVDs, the player doesn't convert the signal.  This
would introduce a slight judder because of the differing frame rates.
Instead the TV just acts like a multisync monitor, and adjusts to the
signal it is given.

(My TV is a middle of the road model, not the cheapest but nowhere near
the most expensive either.)

--
Pete