DeCSS, crypto, law, and economics

David Turner novalis at novalis.org
Wed Jan 8 13:29:39 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 05:50, Pete Chown wrote:

> With DVDs we have a complex situation.  Supposedly studios can make more
> per film, so they can afford to make more marginal films.

To make films which will not make money is not an economically rational
action even if one is making other films which do make money. This is
the point the 17 economists made in their Eldred amicus.

Disclaimer: I'm not an economist.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson