DeCSS, crypto, law, and economics

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Jan 7 21:14:44 EST 2003

    --
On 7 Jan 2003 at 20:25, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I don't know anyone who trades video files -- they're pretty
> big and bulky. A song takes moments to download, but a movie
> takes many many hours even on a high speed link. I have yet
> to meet someone who pirates films -- but I know lots of
> hardened criminals who watch DVDs on Linux and BSD. I'm one
> of these "criminals".

I pirate films routinely.  These are almost invariably films
that I could not obtain in any other way.  The amount of time I
spend watching films on my computer, and on television, is
roughly comparable.

Similarly most of the music I listen to on my computer, I could
not readily purchase.  Stuff I can readily get through
commercial channels I do -- the convenience, rather than the
cost, is important to me.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     G6dKu0+L5GqnwO9+mBiUuQ4bgcPQWz7zc6hp0Ku0
     4lRkw8fWFbF5+wXCL7T1Xi9eLN/Z/LxSrOd5a5W1p