DeCSS, crypto, law, and economics

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Tue Jan 7 19:00:01 EST 2003

John S. Denker writes:
> The main thing the industry really had at stake in
> this case is the "zone locking" aka "region code"
> system.

I don't see much evidence for this.  As you go on to admit, multi-region
players are easily available overseas.  You seem to be claiming that the
industry's main goal was to protect zone locking when that is already
being widely defeated.

Isn't it about a million times more probable that the industry's main
concern was PEOPLE RIPPING DVDS AND TRADING THE FILES?  Movies are
freely available on the net, just like MP3s, and the DeCSS software was
the initial technology that made ripping DVD's possible.  Many people
would rather get something for free than to pay for it, and DVD ripping
allows that for movies.  The MPAA obviously is afraid of following the
RIAA into oblivion.