text/reference on computer security?

Vin McLellan vin at theworld.com
Thu Jan 2 14:07:54 EST 2003

HI John,

"Writing Secure Code," Second Edition -- by Michael Howard and David
LeBlanc, of Microsoft -- comes very highly recommended and seems to live up
to its promise. I'm told this book is now mandatory reading for developers
at Microsoft (and a lot of other places).  See :
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735617228/qid=1041533132/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7890947-4795066?v=glance&s=books>

You might also want to refer him or her to Ross Anderson's "Security
Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems," and a
popular tome from Viega and McGraw: "Building Secure Software.

See Anderson's reviews at:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471389226/ref=pd_rhf_p_2/103-7890947-4795066?v=glance&s=books#product-details>

See Viega and McGraw at:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020172152X/ref=pd_rhf_f_1/103-7890947-4795066?v=glance&s=books&st=*#product-details>

Suerte,
         _Vin

------------------------------

At 1/2/03, you wrote:
>A friend asks if there's any good books on security for programmers.  Two
>years ago Michael Johnson was working on one, and it's even in Macmillan's
>catalog, but it doesn't look like it actually came out.  Any other
>suggestions?
>
>Regards,
>John Levine, johnl at iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
>Dummies",
>Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Sewer
>Commissioner
>"A book is a sneeze." - E.B. White, on the writing of Charlotte's Web

"Cryptography is like literacy in the Dark Ages. Infinitely potent, for
good and ill... yet basically an intellectual construct, an idea, which by
its nature will resist efforts to restrict it to bureaucrats and others who
deem only themselves worthy of such Privilege."
_ A Thinking Man's Creed for Crypto  _vbm.

  *     Vin McLellan + The Privacy Guild + <vin at theworld.com>    *
             22 Beacon St., Chelsea, MA 02150-2672 USA