Fw: Euler's Phi Function

Adrian Daigle Adrian.Daigle at Colorado.EDU
Tue Feb 25 12:26:02 EST 2003

Not sure what this has to do with cryptography, but ...

You really want phi(1) = 1. Whether you do it by using your second
definition

	phi(n) = #{ 1 <= x <= n : gcd(x, n) = 1 }

or by using your first

	phi(n) = #{ 1 <= x < n : gcd(x, n) = 1 }

and just defining phi(1) = 1 by fiat is up to you.

If you have phi(1) = 1, then phi becomes a multiplicative function:

	phi(a) * phi (b) = phi(a * b) for all a,b with gcd(a,b) = 1.

And as every number theory guy knows, multiplicative functions are fun and
useful and all that stuff.

Adrian