Stupid security measures, a contest

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 12 14:06:18 EST 2003

At 10:11 AM 2/12/03 -0500, Adam Shostack wrote:
>"Human rights watchdog Privacy International has launched a quest to
>find the World's Most Stupid Security Measure. "

I can't imagine this is the stupidest, but there's a state office building
in Missouri where (no doubt due to some Directive From On High), they've
put up a wooden shack in front of the main entrance, where anyone going in
or out has to pass through a metal detector.  The wooden shack isn't
directly in front of the entrance, however--probably, that would make life
too hard on the smokers, who now have to go outside to smoke.  It's more
like about 50' in front of it, completely unconnected to the building.

The really entertaining bit is that, since most people going into the
building are basically law abiding (state employees), most people seem to
go through the shack and get checked for weapons, rather than around the
shack to save time.

--John Kelsey, kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com