DeCSS, crypto, law, and economics

Dima Holodov dimalinux at mail.ru
Sat Feb 1 19:06:57 EST 2003

On Thursday 09 January 2003 01:03 pm, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I am unaware of legal region-free players being generally available in
> the US, although I may be wrong on this.

They are available at any "Best Buy" or "Fry's Electronics".  They
just can't advertise it on the boxes.  See the following sites:

 http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdhacks
 http://www.regionfreedvd.net/players.html
 http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/

My friend recently purchased the CyberHome 402 from Best Buy.
It was $50 after $20 mail in rebate.  I think he had to hit some
5 or 6 keys on the remote control, and after that it's completely
region free.  Someone earlier said that region free players are
not popular in the US.  This is just not true.  They are
extremely popular with immigrants in the US.

Another myth here:  Almost all pirate DVDs (at least sold in
Russia) are region free.  The region encoding hurts you, only
when you pay more money for the licensed disks.  Apparently
professional DVD presses are not that hard to get your hands
on, and pirates are not stupid.

- Dima