Non-repudiation (was RE: The PAIN mnemonic)

Amir Herzberg amir at herzberg.name
Wed Dec 24 05:27:11 EST 2003

Ian proposes below two draft-definitions for non-repudiation - legal and
technical. Lynn also sent us a bunch of definitions. Let's focus on the
technical/crypto one for now - after all this is a crypto forum (I agree
the legal one is also somewhat relevant to this forum).

In my work on secure e-commerce, I use (technical, crypto) definitions of
non-repudiation, and consider these as critical to many secure e-commerce
problems/scenarios/requirements/protocols. Having spent considerable time
and effort on appropriate definitions and analysis (proofs), I was/am a bit
puzzled and alarmed to find that others in our community seem so vehemently
against non-repudiation.

Of course, like other technical terms, there can be many variant
definitions; that is not really a problem (the community will gradually
focus on few important and distinct variants). Also it's an unavoidable
fact of life (imho) that other communities (e.g. legal) use the same term
in somewhat different meaning.

So my question is only to people like Ben and Carl who have expressed, if I
understood correctly, objection to any form of technical, crypto definition
of non-repudiation. I repeat: do you really object and if so why? What of
applications/scenarios that seem to require non-repudiation, e.g. certified
mail, payments, contract signing,...?

Best regards,

Amir Herzberg
Computer Science Department, Bar Ilan University
Lectures: http://www.cs.biu.ac.il/~herzbea/book.html
Homepage: http://amir.herzberg.name