I don't know PAIN...

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Sat Dec 20 15:58:21 EST 2003

At 03:03 AM 12/21/2003, Ian Grigg wrote:
>What is the source of the acronym PAIN?

I've seen, for many years, the acronym "CAIN", where the C is
"Confidentiality". I think that was in the Orange Book.

There's also, historically, an R for "Robustness" or "Reliability" in many
military contexts, instead of the N for Nonrepudiation. That is, protection
from denial-of-service attacks.

Lastly, the A is often Authorization rather than Authentication, since
integrity implies identification of the source.

The first time I recall seeing PAIN was just a few weeks ago, in postings
by Lynn.

I don't know if that helps, because I certainly got mightily confused while
writing it.

Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: ggr at qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C