The RIAA Succeeds Where the CypherPunks Failed

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 12:59:28 EST 2003

At 12:39 PM 12/17/2003, Patrick Chkoreff on the dgcchat at lists wrote:
>Well, Clay Shirky has done it again, writing a very insightful article
>on the current digital scene, this time on the unintended but
>beneficial consequences of RIAA's crackdown on file sharing.
>
>Here is one particularly telling excerpt:
>
>>Note that the broadening adoption of encryption is not because users
>>have become libertarians, but because they have become criminals; to a
>>first approximation, every PC owner under the age of 35 is now a > felon.

http://www.shirky.com/writings/riaa_encryption.html

I'm not sure if Clay ever hung out on the cypherpunks list.  None of this
comes as a surprise.  Most knew early on that widespread adoption of crypto
would require a killer app and that cypherpunks were not delivering these
apps because one could not predict what they would be.  They would surely
not be PGP and other encrypted email nor digital cash unless and until
there was a small but lucrative market that could be addressed by such
technology or a large market with broad citizen support.  That file sharing
could be it was also recognized a long time ago on the cypherpunks list.

One interesting aspect of the current arms war being fought between
consumers determined to ignore copyright, their technological helpers in
the development community and the RIAA/MPAA is a possible resurgence of
interest in non-file sharing P2P architectures.  By this I mean schemes
where the information is distributed among sharing participants in a
fashion where each holds only a portion of the desired file in a form not
identifiable as such by individual users.

Freenet and MNet (previously Mojo Nation) both use such an approach.  They
create an Internet RAID drive cluster across the storage participants have
offered to the sharing system.  Individual users are not associated with
offering individual files, they simply have offered storage for data the
content of which they know not.  User downloads from such systems are, of
course, organized as individually identifiable files, but these are
separately stored and not exposed outside their PCs.  "NetRAID" P2P
approaches have suffered from complexity and stability problems which
greatly affected their popularity, but there is reason to believe that such
shortcomings may soon be a thing of the past.

Another aspect of this is what it portends for the future.  If, as Clay
suggests, the current situation is like Prohibition from citizen
perspective can we expect a similar repeal of government surveillance?  If
not, what will happen as large numbers of citizens adopt P2P systems that
not only flaunt copyright law but communications more dear to those in power?

steve

"For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law
of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open
secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely
connected with this." -- Albert Einstein, "My First Impression of the
U.S.A.", 1921