CryptoPhone source and CryptoPhone for Windows released

Dave Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 09:55:22 EST 2003

Barry Wels wrote:
> We published today the full source code of our CryptoPhone products at
> http://www.cryptophone.de/. Also available for download is now the
> first public Beta version of the free GSMK CryptoPhone for Windows
> software.
Glad to see it - however, I have a couple of minor queries about the
licencing (skipping the bits about agreeing to forfeit rights explicitly
granted by law - which obvously are worthless) :-

> Distribution-specific terms
> (i) Source code
> Subject to the terms of this agreement, you are granted the right, free of
> charge, (a) to download and make copies of the source code distribution
>: solely for the purpose of your own review of the code, and (b) to compile
> it solely for the purpose of comparing the compiled version to the binary
> code distributed by GSMK.
As it is almost impossible to compare two binaries from a modern compiler -
would it be possible for this section to be amended to allow personal use of
the self-compiled binary - obviously, without permission to redistribute.
Also, review of code is seldom a solitary activity - I assume quoting
sections of code is ok for the purposes of collaborative review, and if so,
could this be explicitly stated in future licences? and where do we report
anything we find to? the Security@ address?

and as an aside - while I understand the main focus of your work being over
public carrier (as that is the target market for your handheld devices), are
there any future plans to include VoIP capability (which as more mobile
devices become web-enabled would obviously be advantagious for long-distance
telephony, and is common on pcs now)