yahoo to use public key technology for anti-spam

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Sun Dec 7 18:51:39 EST 2003

In message <200312072016.PAA8484316 at shell.TheWorld.com>, Dan Geer writes:

>>   So, in capsule: this proposal assumes that you use the same machine for
>>   outgoing and incoming e-mail.
>
>I'm actually experimenting with sending mail directly,
>per this little hack[1], which does have separate paths
>for incoming and outgoing, but does not rely on the local
>hotspot/whatever.

I used to do that, but I had to give up -- too often, my laptop
happened to be in someone's blacklist range.  Right now, for example,
it's in Comcast's IP addr space, and some people regard that as a spam
source.

But we're wandering off-topic.

Btw -- I've been told that Yahoo has not yet disclosed technical details
publicly.