[Mac_crypto] Introducing SaferWep

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Aug 29 07:58:08 EDT 2003

--- begin forwarded text

From: James Moore <jam at wirerimmed.com>
To: mac_crypto at vmeng.com
Subject: [Mac_crypto] Introducing SaferWep
Sender: mac_crypto-admin at vmeng.com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:01:30 -0700

I've put together a package [1] that could help improve the security on
WiFi networks which use the Apple AirPort Base Station. SaferWep makes
it easy to rotate the base station password periodically with the new
password being a SHA1 hash of the date and a shared secret. The idea is
to rotate the WEP key faster than someone can crack it. SaferWep
includes the software to do this as well as a "client" which will
display the current WEP key. SaferWep is written in Java.

There is more detailed information in the package's readme file
including it's weaknesses as I see them. I'd really appreciate feedback
and/or criticism especially if I've missed something obvious about this
approach.

SaferWep is based on the excellent AirPort Base Station Configurator
[2].

[1] http://wirerimmed.com/saferwep
[2] http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/

-James

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA