traffic analysis (was: blackmail / stego)

Jim McCoy mccoy at mad-scientist.com
Wed Aug 27 16:01:59 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 10:12 AM, John S. Denker wrote:

>  *) Anonymity means They can't prove you're guilty.
> But it also means you can't prove you're innocent.
> A sufficiently totalitarian regime will require
> everyone to be able to prove their innocence at all
> times.  Subscribing to an anonymity service would
> therefore be automatically illegal.

While IANL, it seems that the whole anonymity game has a flaw that
doesn't even require a totalitarian regime. I would direct you to the
various laws in the US (to pick a random example :) regarding
conspiracy. Subscribing to an anonymity service might not become
illegal, but if anyone in your "crowd" was performing an illegal action
you may be guilty of conspiracy to commit this action.  You were
explicitly trying to assist someone to avoid lawful detection of
illegal activity, therefore you are in danger of being charged with
conspiracy to commit the illegal act (even if the overt act was never
successfully completed, which is where things could get really surreal
for the remailer/crowds/proxy groups.) It is also worth noting that the
burden of proof in a conspiracy trial is substantially lower than for
other cases...

Jim