blackmail / real world stego use

Enzo Michelangeli em at who.net
Tue Aug 26 20:50:04 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "bear" <bear at sonic.net>
Cc: <cryptography at metzdowd.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 5:49 AM
Subject: Re: blackmail / real world stego use

[...]
> That would imply packet recording and correlation on a level
> greater than we've ever considered to be in the arsenal of
> cryptographic threats, implying the emergence of forces (and
> inevitably of forces other than governments) that have
> eavesdropping capabilities that cannot be defeated except with
> time-delayed packet relay through many hosts and re-encryption/
> redecryption at each step of the way.
>
> That is a model that does not permit realtime communication,
> meaning that monitoring may be impossible to escape for
> realtime activities such as web browsing.

That appears to be the conclusion reached by the developers of GNUnet:

http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet/faq.php3?xlang=English#GNUweb
-------
Q. Is it possible to use GNUnet via a browser as an anonymous WWW?

A. There is currently no proxy (like fproxy in Freenet) for GNUnet that
would make it accessible with a browser. It is possible to build such a
proxy and all one needs to know is the protocol used between browser and
proxy and a swift look at the sources in src/applications/afs/tools/.
The real question is, whether or not this is a good idea. In order to
achieve anonymity, GNUnet has a much higher latency than the WWW. Thus,
the experience of browsing the web will usually be hindered significantly
by these delays (potentially several minutes per page!).
If you still want to write a proxy, you are welcome to send us code and
join the developer team.
-------

Enzo