PRNG design document?

Tim Dierks tim at dierks.org
Tue Aug 19 11:57:32 EDT 2003

Is there a definitive or highly recommended paper or book on the design of
PRNGs?

I'm assuming a cryptographic PRNG of the type in OpenSSL, PGP, etc., where
entropic seeding data is accumulated into a pool and output is produced by
operating on the pool with a secure hash or similar cryptographic algorithm.

I'm interested in whether there's a strong source on what the design
considerations for how to process the input into the pool, mix & remix the
pool, and generate output are. I'm familiar with a number of generators and
many issues in building such things, but I don't know if I've seen a single
design document.

Thanks,
  - Tim

PS - Either I've been dropped, the list is dead, or no one has had anything
to say for the last month.