eWeek: Cryptography Guru Paul Kocher Speaks Out

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Apr 30 17:06:40 EDT 2003

At 11:20 AM -0700 4/30/03, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>Or is it possible that our technical analyses are mistaken, and that
>it is actually possible to program devices to watermark the content
>they play in such a manner that the marks can't be practically removed?
>If so, what is the secret?

I am always suspicious of "impossible" statements and "proofs".  After
attending last weeks EE380 on Real-Time Watermarking systems
<http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee380/Abstracts/030423.html>, I think it may
be possible to add multiple watermarks, with enough redundancy to survive
the combination of a large number of copies.  The need for a large number
of copies will work against the casual "file sharer".

Given that the above is possible, the idea that the player watermarks its
output might actually act as a plug to the "analog hole".  Moral of the
story: If you are going to share, buy your player with cash in a remote
city.

Cheers - Bill