DRM technology and policy

Eric Rescorla ekr at rtfm.com
Mon Apr 28 12:19:37 EDT 2003

Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com> writes:
> Here are some revenue models for each of these classes:
>
> Class 1:  Schneier's Street Performer Protocol (SPP) should work nicely.
> That is, take contributions until enough money is received and then release
> a new recording/story/poem/essay.

I don't actually believe this. As far as I can tell, the SPP doesn't
adequately address the free rider problem. Sure, I'd be willing to pay
$5 (or whatever) to see a new Motorhead album released, but the
probability that it's my $5 that pushes us over the limit is so low
that it's a dominant strategy to simply wait for everyone else to
pitch in. Of course, everyone can engage in the same reasoning,
and that's the problem.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr at rtfm.com]