DRM technology and policy

Dan Geer geer at TheWorld.com
Sat Apr 26 16:21:41 EDT 2003

Suppose I manufacture drinking glasses.  To stay in business,
I must have a profit margin.  That margin is between the market
price and my cost of reproduction of a drinking glass, which
cost is non-zero.  Thus over time I must decrease my cost of
reproducing my drinking glass if I am to stay in business.
Hence automation.

Suppose I manufacture drinking songs.  To stay in business,
I must have a profit margin.  That margin is between the market
price and my cost of reproduction of a drinking song, which
cost is zero.  Thus over time I must increase your cost of
reproducing my drinking song if I am to stay in business.
Hence DRM.

Price v Scarcity

--dan