DRM technology and policy

Arnold G. Reinhold reinhold at world.std.com
Thu Apr 24 23:20:00 EDT 2003

At 10:37 PM +0100 4/23/03, Paul Walker wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 07:44:45PM +0000, Andreas Bogk wrote:
>
>>  Sure.  But if somebody claimed that the newspaper changed, I could go
>>  to my personal archive of that news source, and compare.
>
>True. But, if there's a difference between the two, why should I believe
>something you've got rather than something that's on their server?

And what makes you think the DRM'd news media of the future will let
you keep a plaintext personal archive?  Your subscription lets your
view a story for a week. For a small additional charge you'll be able
to download a one-week copy of the same story whenever you want.  But
plaintext versions? Never! That would permit unfettered copying, you
see.

Arnold Reinhold

"1984" -- just another high-tech product plan with an over-optimistic
ship date. But it's finally in beta.