DRM technology and policy

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Thu Apr 24 09:56:06 EDT 2003

> Adam Back[SMTP:adam at cypherspace.org] writes:
	[...]
> I consider there is no moral obligation to pay the author or
> distributor.  There is essentially zero copying cost once content is
> produced.
	[...]
> I'm presuming that as long as people are interested in consuming those
> things with whatever the legal framework those things will be
> produced.
      [...]

["Those things" are creative works; movies, books, music, etc. -pt]

OK, I'll call you on this one - what is the basis of that presumption?
Some creative works require an up-front investment which is
beyond what can be acheived on a shareware or charity basis.

Would the LOTR trilogy be filmed without hope of ROI? Would
we be awaiting 'The Matrix Reloaded'? I don't think so.

There are several Bad Things about the current IP setup which
need changing. There are also plenty of Bad Things about current
business model of mass entertainment. However, remunerating
creators for their work, and investors who put money at risk to
fund a work beyond the level available to the creators, is a Good
Thing.

How that can be fairly done, to the maximum benefit of us all,
I don't claim to know for sure. But if creators all have to have
day jobs, and backers don't have a chance to recoup their
investments,  creative work will dry up.

Peter Trei