DRM technology and policy

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Apr 23 16:40:07 EDT 2003

I agree with Carsten's comments.

I consider there is no moral obligation to pay the author or
distributor.  There is essentially zero copying cost once content is
produced.

The fact that we have the current copyright and patent systems is just
a societal convention codified into current laws.  This is largely
historical accident, and many of the original justifications for
creating these systems have been lost, or changed such that it is no
longer clear these systems are in the public good.

In fact most of the recent expansions of copyright have been basically
laws to profit large corporations which they have succeeded in
obtaining not because of any moral consensus, but because they have
spent lots of money lobbying.

When you face mass civil disobedience and violation of a victimless
crime (considering the scale of software and mp3 trading, movies,
taping of shows etc., etc) it is clear that the end user feels no
moral obligation.  This suggests to me that the world is now a
different place with different schelling points (or natural sensible
defaults) surrounding information exchange, and that current copyright
systems should be phased out.

So the fact that this may change the economics of being a movie
company or record company is not an argument to fixing this problem.

I'm presuming that as long as people are interested in consuming those
things with whatever the legal framework those things will be
produced.  Current content distribution and production companies will
either adapt or lose to other companies.  Maybe they'll lose some of
their ability to charge huge margins over physical reproduction costs,
but that is a net good.

The main remaining and bad effect of copyright law is a government
subsidy of media conglomorates -- the government implements and
enforces laws that benefit large content distribution companies at the
expense of individual freedoms.

Adam