DRM technology and policy

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Apr 22 16:22:51 EDT 2003

"John S. Denker" <jsd at monmouth.com> writes:

> Please get a clue.  Copyright isn't about the
> scarcity of copying or the marginal cost thereof.
> Never has been.
>
> Copyright is about recouping the _fixed_ costs.  This
> is necessary in general, and particularly important
> when the market is of limited size, so that the fixed
> cost per unit is significant in absolute terms.

The problem is that the current business models recoup this
cost by requiring payment on the assumption of a scarce resource.
You are correct that Copyright has nothing to do with it; it's
the current (flawed?) business models.  However, I don't think
the MPAA or RIAA are willing to change their business models
anytime soon.

So I'll re-ask my question, John..  What do you see as the
requirements of a DRM system?  Clearly allowing a content creator to
get paid for their work is part of the picture (but it is not the
whole picture)..

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins