DRM technology and policy

Will Rodger wrodger at pobox.com
Tue Apr 22 12:16:57 EDT 2003

John S. Denker wrote:
>There appear to be two extremes:
>  -- the pro-copyright extremists and
>  -- the anti-copyright extremists.
>
>Sanity lies in the gray area in the middle.
>
>Usually what I hear from each side is something
>like:
>  a) The other side is scared and acting like a
>     hypocritical selfish spoiled child, making
>     totally illogical arguments, and
>  b) therefore everything my side says is true
>     and righteous.
>
>I completely agree with both sides when they say
>part (a) and disagree with both sides when they
>get to part (b).
>
>Recent anti-DRM arguments on the cryptography list have
>cited examples suggesting that there are _some_ DRM
>problems that cannot be well solved by _certain_
>technologies....  And then they claim to have "proved"
>thereby that all DRM is futile.  This is the height of
>illogic.

Indeed. But there is a middle ground. CCIA is urging Congress to reject DRM
mandates not just because they will or will not work now, but because such
mandates inevitably freeze the market. Worse still, when Hollywood demands
a technology "refresh" clause that says techies have to re-engineer
whenever DRM is broken -- well, you can see where that path is leading. Add
to this mess anti-consumer and anti-innovation technology licensing
agreements, and soon it does look as though some content folk are far off
the tracks.

Software developers have played cat and mouse with infringers for decades,
now. Content companies need to understand there's only so much a company
can do to stop infringement before it starts alienating its own customers.
Here's hoping the lesson can sill be learned.

Will Rodger