the futility of DRM (Re: DMCA Crypto Software)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Fri Apr 18 17:12:30 EDT 2003

So the problem I think higher level: the traitor tracing model is not
practically usable.  ie. To have traitor tracing, you have to
personalize the content by embeding identity in the watermark.  (The
idea is that the watermark should be hard to remove, even if the
content is readily obtainable in digital form.)

But the security of identity capture for such a low value service (a
few $ for a movie rental) limit what can economically be spent on
assuring identity.  Therefor to break the system, you don't even
bother renting enough different copies to overcome the traitor tracing
system; you simply obtain a movie in a fake identity, or pluasibly
deniably have someone "steal" your copy, or remotely compromise your
machine that is playing it.

And on a slightly different aspect of the picture, if you did consider
that the digital copy would be hard to obtain (tamper resistant
player, such as the DVD player model (without the software player
option)), then you don't need watermarks, all you need is a signed
identity of the movie renter's identity, and to make players have a
policy of not playing unsigned content.

But overall I think DRM is economically stupid, and that we are stuck
in a bad local optima for content distribution industry, which is both
bad for them, and bad for freedoms, and bad for the computer hardware
industry.  DRM generically _can not_ stop copying, because
watermarking doesn't work technically (traitor tracing past some low
threshold), and doesn't work economically (because you can't afford
good enough identity assurances to avoid plausibly deniable still
watermarked copies, or copies obtained with forged identity).

Also digital content encrypted out to the monitor, video card,
speakers encrypted to that output device with keys negotiated with the
content provider is also stupid.  It places a silly burden on
hardware, and won't stop copying.  High quality output devices,
together with high quality personal capture devices, plus the
existance of digital content inside the output devices mean that
content will be captured digitally and re-encoded, or simply undergo a
high quality D->A->D path.

QED.

On the economic side of economic models which make sense where one
includes the presumption that copying does exist, and can't be
stopped: we already have that model.  ie. The content distribution
industry can sell digital copies and compete with pirate distribution
channels (such as kazaa, etc) because:

- convenience -- if the price is reasonably low, and the rental model
is convenient, it is simply not worth people's time to find an
download copies

- quality -- original digital copies tend to be higher quality because
compared to pirate downloads because the downloads are typically
re-encode at lower bit rates to conserve bandwidth;

- reliability -- also current generation file trading does not
generally deal with spoofing, where you end up with something other
than what you wanted, or you end up with a file full of 0s.  I'd think
this is not a limiting factor and will likely be fixed.

- branding, visibility -- if the content distributors work on better
placing in search engines, more visible brands, content available from
official sites etc., they compete again on convenience

I think the content industry could make more money if they lowered
prices, and improved convenience to compete on value for money and
convenience with the free quasi-illegal services.

Basically the only licensed, legitimate content distribution industry
move that I saw that tried to do this was movie88, which promptly got
attacked by the MPAA and lost their internet connectivity.  (Movie88
was a streaming movie rental business which rented one-view of
streamed video for $1-$2; at that price I think they would have
competed very well with kazaa et al on overall
price-convenience-reliability).

Adam