[IP] last -- more on Data sent to Microsoft by "Windows Update" (fwd)

Sean McGrath sean at manybits.net
Fri Apr 18 12:04:20 EDT 2003

From: Dave Farber <dave at farber.net>
Subject: [IP] last --  more on Data sent to Microsoft by "Windows Update"
To: ip <ip at v2.listbox.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:05:32 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky at attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:18:42 -0400
To: dave at farber.net

Dave,

I think that Bob Horvitz's reading of the article is correct.  Here
is his response.

the relevant passage from Mike Hartmann's analysis:

"If an update is required, the utility will display an error message.
In this case run Windows Update once to perform the update and run the
tecControl utility again [tecControl is one of Hartmann's tools for
capturing the data sent by Windows Update].  As can easily be seen
the> <regKeys /> <tag causes a list of registry subkeys
ofHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE, i.e. a list of the vendors of all
software packages installed on the user's computer, to be included in
the result."

The original post is repeated at the bottom of this message as a
reference for readers.

George Sadowsky

You are subscribed as sean at manybits.net
To manage your subscription, go to