Swiss ISPs Required to Log Email for Six Months - negative side effects for end users not mandated by the law due to chosen implementation approach

Ralf Hauser ralfhauser at gmx.ch
Wed Apr 16 01:42:47 EDT 2003

Bill,

Just heard from a small ISP how some might implement this:
Some companies offering technical solutions to comply with the law (BUePF)
chose the following implementation approach:
Considering Switzerland being a small market and that a variety of different
makes of MTAs are in use, they would not implement the "wire"-tap mechanism
inside each MTA, but basically put a filter next to it.
Those filters apparently drop all encrypted traffic since it probably is too
costly to also tap into each MTAs (session) key management.

Conclusion 1: All content already encrypted by the end-user (GnuPG etc.) is
safe. (not too bad, as to be expected)

However, if ISPs using such a filter encrypt the traffic between their own
MTA and the destination ISPs MTA, their filter won't work and thus they
cannot cooperate with the law enforcement under this architecture as
required by the law.

Conclusion 2: In order not to get in trouble for not being able to cooperate
according to the law, some ISPs choose NOT TO USE ENCRYPTION BETWEEN MTAs
EVER (even if they offer SSL protection of SMTP/POP/IMAP to the end user).
(I don't think this was intended by the lawmakers because it increases the
exposure of all citizens - also those who are not under investigation

Ralf