aural cryptography

Alfonso De Gregorio alfonso.degregorio at acm.org
Tue Apr 8 12:56:35 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:50:46AM -0400, John Kelsey wrote:

Dear John,

> So my questions are:
>
> a.  Is this really possible?  Or am I missing something?

afaik, audio cryptography and non-binary audio cryptography
have been investigated by Desmedt, Quisquater et al. in the last years.

<http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~desmedt/audio/readme.htm>
<http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~desmedt/nonbinary-audio/readme.html>

> b.  Has this been done in the open literature?  (It seems like the sort of
> thing that would have been really useful for, say, radio broadcasts that
> were intended to be received by spies.)

the fundamental bibliography and references is the following:

   Yvo Desmedt, Tri Van Le, Jean-Jacques Quisquater: Nonbinary Audio
   Cryptography. Information Hiding 1999: 478-489

   Audio  and  Optical  Cryptography.  In  K.  Ohta  and D. Pei, editors,
   Advances  in Cryptology - Asiacrypt '98, Proceedings (Lecture Notes in
   Computer  Science  1514), pp. 392-404. Springer-Verlag, 1998. Beijing,
   China, October. Y. Desmedt, S. Hou and J.-J. Quisquater.

Cheers,
Alfonso