[SIMSOFT] machine shop -Biometrics Slouches Toward the Mainstream

David Honig dahonig at cox.net
Fri Sep 27 13:04:36 EDT 2002

At 11:49 AM 9/26/02 -0700, Bill Frantz wrote:
>The last time I flew, I was scanned with a face recognition system.  The
>airline employee who checked my ID looked at the ID, them my face, then the
>ID, them my face ...  It seemed to work quite well.
>
>Cheers - Bill

And then there was that prisoner who got out of jail last year by
pasting a picture of a movie star of the same race onto an ID.

One needs to do controls like this.  How often to airline security
folks check that the wrong face gets them through?   Faux guns
& grenades get through; faces will too.  Face recog by man or machine
is just one of many heuristic measures that can be applied.