RSA's RC5-64 Secret Key Challenge has been solved.

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Thu Sep 26 17:45:12 EDT 2002

Congratulations to the team!

> I expect that this will be the last one attacked for
> a while - the next keylength is 72 bits, and at d.net's
> current rate, that would take them several centuries.

I think it's worth starting.  Computers are getting exponentially
faster, so d.net's current rate will continue to increase.  Humans
have little experience with long-drawn-out exponential processes, and
tend to underestimate their impact.  They are pretty powerful
speeder-uppers at the tail end.

After getting that getting started, though, I suggest beginning a
brute-force attack on the GSM cellphone encryption algorithm.  That's
in use in hundreds of millions of devices worldwide, protecting (or
failing to protect) the privacy of billions of phone calls a day.

	John Gilmore