unforgeable optical tokens?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Tue Sep 24 15:31:46 EDT 2002

In message <20020921063415.6F76030752 at lion.ninthwonder.com>, eli+ at zimbs4.srv.cs
.cmu.edu writes:
>Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> An idea from some folks at MIT apparently where a physical token
>> consisting of a bunch of spheres embedded in epoxy is used as an
>> access device by shining a laser through it.
>
>I can't dig up the memory, but I think I heard of a similar idea --
>random structure in transparent solid, difficult to copy -- used in
>some kind of tag or seal for nuclear security.  Can anyone remind me
>what this might have been?

A fair number of years ago, I saw something like this proposed for
non-proliferation seals on nuclear reactors.  The scheme then (I
believe I saw it in Science News) was that International Atomic Engergy
Agency inspectors would use a length of randomly-twisted multi-strand
fiber optic cable and use it to seal a door that they opened to verify
that the reactor in question wasn't being used to build weapons.  They
then shine a light in one end, and photograph the other.  When they
come back, the repeat the photographic process, so that they can see if
anyone has removed their seal -- say, to get at the irradiated,
plutonium-containing fuel rods.

		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)